Do you own a cat or a dog? Are you wondering if your pet is seriously ill or if what they're doing is normal? The holidays can be a time of excitement for your pet, as well as presenting new hazards. Here are some things to look out for:
Turkey carcass: When you throw your turkey bones away, your pet will probably be attracted to the delicious smell. Unfortunately, cooked bones can splinter into dangerously sharp pieces when your pet chews on them. If they have eaten half of the carcass, then it's probably time to take them to an emergency vet clinic to have them checked out. But if your pet has only stolen and chewed up one or two bones, they may be fine. Things to look out for if you suspect that your pet has been eating cooked bones include bloody vomiting or bloody diarrhea, or trouble breathing if a piece gets lodged in your pet's windpipe. If any of these occur, get them to the vet as soon as possible.
Christmas tree water: Because a live tree is natural, you may be under the impression that it's fine if your pet has a drink of its water every so often. Unfortunately, your tree may have been sprayed with a pesticide, to keep insects from hitching a ride to your home, or fertilizer that helped make the tree grow bigger. Once the tree is placed into water, these chemicals may start to leach out and may wind up being consumed by your dog or cat. If your pet starts exhibiting strange behavior, such as drooling excessively or staggering around if drunk after the tree has been put up, you need to take them to the emergency vet as soon as possible.
Tinsel: Shiny, silvery icicles can make a tree look even more attractive. Unfortunately, they also provide tempting targets for cats and young puppies. When eaten, these strings can wrap themselves around your pet's digestive tract, potentially cutting through internal organs. While this won't happen every time your pet eats a bit of string, you should definitely take them to an emergency vet clinic if your pet seems to have enthusiastically consumed a large amount of tinsel.
Party food: When you're having a party, it can be all too easy for your pet to gain access to things like the meat and cheese platter you have out for your guests. Although many cats will happily drink any milk you give them or eat any cheese they get access to, most cats are actually lactose intolerant. The same is also true of dogs. If your dog or cat gets diarrhea from eating a bunch of cheese cubes off of a party tray, you may need to take them to your emergency vet clinic to make sure that they don't get dehydrated. Contact a local vet, like Gwynedd Veterinary Hospital, with any concerns.