Toxic Plants And Pets: 5 Plants That Could Require A Vet Visit

26 February 2016
 Categories: , Blog


Many homeowners want to have a beautiful yard. However, a large portion of homeowners are also pet owners. Sadly, pets don't get along with certain types of plants, as they are toxic and could result in your pet's death if your pet decides to take a bite out of the plant. Here are 5 plants that could cause problems for Fido or Fluffy:

1. Azaleas

According to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA), azaleas are toxic to dogs, cats and even horses. Some of the most common signs that you'll notice your pet experiencing within the first few hours following the ingestion include diarrhea, vomiting, weakness and hypersalivation. Your pet could also go into hypotension, a coma or cardiovascular collapse. All it takes is a few of the plant's leaves to cause a problem.

2. Coleus

The ASPCA also says that coleus plants are toxic to dogs, cats and horses. These plants come in a wide assortment of colors, which is why they're so popular in landscapes. Unfortunately, when a pet ingests this plant, there are multiple symptoms that can be experienced, including diarrhea, vomiting, depression and anorexia. In some cases, there could be blood present in the stool or vomit.

3. Tulips

While beautiful, tulips are also toxic to dogs, cats and horses. The primary part of the plant that contains the toxins is the bulb, but any part of the plant can cause harm to a pet that ingests it. Symptoms include depression, diarrhea, vomiting and hypersalivation.

4. English Ivy

English Ivy is a popular plant in the house as well as in the yard. Unfortunately, it can cause problems for your pet is it ingests it. Pets may experience pain in the abdominal area, vomiting, diarrhea and excessive drooling. The ASPCA reports that there are more toxins in the foliage than the berries from the plant. However, it's safe to keep pets clear of any part of the plant.

5.  Sago Palms

Dogs, cats and horses are all toxic to a plant known as the sago palm, according to the ASPCA. It has much more severe clinical symptoms when compared to the ones listed above. Pets who have ingested the plant may experience an increased thirst, bruising, vomiting, hemorrhagic gastroenteritis, liver damage, liver failure, and even death.

Keep in mind that just because these plants may be more toxic than others, it doesn't mean that you can't still have them in the yard or in your home. However, you'll want to keep a close eye on your pets and plants if you decide to risk it. Also, make sure to have the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center number handy (888-426-4435) and schedule an appointment with your local veterinarian immediately if your pet has gotten into a poisonous plant.